A Cottage Mystery

Dorothy ran down the dirt road as her dress blew in the wind. She turned to go over the wooden bridge and made her way into the woods. Today was the day she would see what was inside the old cottage house! She pulled on the rusty old door trying desperately to open it, just her luck of course, it was locked. Suddenly, she remembered! There was a key hidden under some soil beside a tree. She dug around and found the key. She put it in the door and ……. “Damn it! If only it was a bit smaller…” They key didn’t fit! Dinner was going to be ready soon, she didn’t have much time. Suddenly, she heard footsteps behind her. “Oh no..!” she whispered. She was definitely in trouble now!

One thought on “A Cottage Mystery”

1. There are several things I like about your story, but my favourite is the question that was never asked. If the key was too big to fit the lock, what was that key actually for, who hid it, and why? I don’t know if it was intentional but for me using the name Dorothy immediately places the story in Oz. Plus, the story seemed to be about an adventure into an abandoned cottage, but someone living there makes the reader have to rethink everything about Dorothy’s intentions… keep up the great storytelling.